Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Story Behind CHE.R.RY

Album: Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories - Tails

Part of this post is dedicated to Kim, my dearie ex classmate. Since she asked it 'nicely'. I won't refuse requests as long as you ask it in a way as if I am some kind of important people xD I am reading this book now, it says that one of the things most people want is 'A feeling of importance' LOL *Runs away*

I actually ranted about this before at YL, there were 2 of it. Looking back my attempt on translating it and the discussions, time really flies fast (even though I still cannot play this song well). So, we shall start it off by analysing the lyrics (YouTube in case you do not know what the hell am I talking about):

CHE.R.RY Lyrics (by Fantasiimaker)

But before that, does this thing below looks like a cherry fruit??

.R.

If you think so, then part of the mystery solved.

Second, from the lyrics, you will know that this song is revolving around the theme, LOVE. I will quote something I wrote back then:


Basically YUI started this song with 'Spring' as the theme for the lyrics. For YUI, spring means another starting point and ending point, another encounter and separation. Starting point will be something like new semester, maybe new encounters, then the possibility of falling love, then maybe have sweet and sour memories from it, hence the title CHE.R.RY (which is a fruit obviously). Not just tastes sweet, but it has the sour feeling as well.

And YUI heard that in overseas, people will include dots between words when mailing to emphasize it. And YUI wanted to emphasize 'the bitter-sweetness when love first starts'. (taken from WHAT's IN interview)

Dear YUI had a hard time explaining to others too when she was doing promotions for this single lol, deep stuff.

That's basically the story behind this story, if you want to read/know more about it, can refer to this and this page, or ask me directly (questions such as how to play this song lol), in this post.

And to da3ta, thanks for stopping by my blog. I kinda get what you want but what do you mean by confusing, half info anyway?? Anyway I really appreciate that you read the whole thing =)

Because people seldom reads. They prefer figure it out certain things by themselves, and make assumptions on it (hypothesis xD). You assumed that dear YUI is controlled by Sony nowadays because she stopped making certain songs and more towards making mainstream music, but do you even bothered to read her interviews, analyse her lyrics, etc etc available (if possible, all) before making such statement?? A lot of other recording companies 'fighting' for YUI back then when she won the audition, she must thought about it carefully before joining them. Of course being one of the popular female artist in Japan now, the company will use different ways to boost their revenue. Language barrier is just an excuse. Sometimes people will give misleading informations as well, you can only confirm it by gaining primary information (which sadly, in Japanese), or better, don't believe it if it sounds fishy.

Translating stuff can be pain in the ass sometimes, I still have lots of debts to clear *cough*rockin'on*cough*, so da3ta, unless your 'questions' are interesting enough, I don't mind doing my best to clear all your doubts, hee.

Lastly, don't blame on others when you think that something is not feeling right. Maybe you yourself are the one who have changed.

One thing though, when people asked YUI whether if she has changed (in terms of singing), most of the time she will answer:

Back then I only sing for myself, but now knowing that so many people listening to my songs and even inspired by my songs, I feel that not just for myself, I should sing for those who is willing to listen as well, motivate them and so on (hence Rolling star and Highway chance).

Believe it or not, YUI knows that you guys miss her old stuff too. Like a chef, sometimes people just want to eat ramen made by you, they can eat katsu don at some other places made by some other people. However, YUI hopes that you will at least try katsu don made by her too.

I forgot which magazine, where she used such metaphor *swt*

Sorry, ranted too much. I am not asking you to agree though. People have their own preferences, you say that YUI's live performances sucked, maybe yes maybe no. Why should we argue on this anyway? The only thing I know is I can never sing the way she does, and no matter what you say, I am sure that YUI somehow will know about it long time before (e.g. Birthday song she did once in radio show).

That is why I seldom participate in forum debates, because 1. My English is not powerful enough to make them 'notice', 2. Such discussions will never end unless the 'main topic' do something. 3. I'm a coward. YLs are typically milder in their word choices though. Maybe it has something to do with the artist herself *bias* *bias*

Discussions are welcomed. Don't pick on my grammar though, okla since I am taking TOEFL......

I'm really good at making off topics =x

Adieu.

PS: Happy early Birthday to Emily Lin!! (13th) Hope you will grant your wishes~

PPS: As for the debate on whether pronounce ん as 'm' or 'n', if you study Japanese phonetics and phonology, you will know, there are 5 variations of it xD I think I'm gonna fail this paper LOL.

blog comments powered by Disqus