Sunday, July 13, 2008

ROCKIN' ON JAPAN Interview Part 7 (page 050)

It took more than half a year (8 months) for me to translate this, I wonder what does this indicate??



For some reason, triper san decided to hide his Chinese translations in his previous blog. No more Chinese translation and you guys have to settle with this unpolished English translation, unless someone copy pasted the Chinese translation at some where.

Disclaimer: Please correct me if I made any stupid grammatical/ spelling errors and tell me if I made any factual errors. Don't believe in everything I have translated. If you want to copy anything from here, please ask your future readers to stop by my blog, to increase my blog traffic, thank you.

Previous translations: Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3 - Part 4 - Part 5 - Part 6

Teo: Italics

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Music Learning

# And that boosted your confidence, don't you think? Something like there's no such thing as zero possibility after all.

YUI: That's true. It made me to be able to think that, it's not zero. Since that was around end of high school first year, a great timing I supposed. Hence, I can persuade my teacher easier on quitting right here. Of course my teachers gave me a lot of advices too, they were really worried. "I don't know much of this since I took the normal path, but I never heard of people taking such path and debut or something." They used to say this to me.

# Did your mother say anything?

YUI: She thought that since I have decided so, that shows how mentally prepared I am, and somehow she could feel my strong enthusiasm. She didn't really say anything harsh, instead of disapprove, "If you really wanted to do this, just move forward with the path you have chosen." she said something like that. Even if she didn't say anything, I could feel it.


Picture credits to Reset.

# Even if you have prepared yourself on pursuing music path, I think there must be a point when you started to think: What specific move shall I do next. How was it like?

YUI: It is true that I have those days worrying over all these things. I had absolutely no idea on where should I move forward, it was as if I could see nothing but darkness ahead of me. And then, I had the chance to watch a street (live) performance. That encounter was bianco nero's (ビアンコネロ) live performance. Up till then I seldom went to the city area, and I never even watched any street performances before.

Everything started from here thanks to bianco nero. Romanised version of their name is bianco nero, bianco in Italian language means white and nero means black. White and black = Juventus haha.

YUI: There is a girl friend of mine, who always goes to see bianco nero's live. When I asked her to tell me if there's anything going on, she told me that there is a live on that day. Hence, for the first time in my life, I took a bus from Hakata Station, kept on asking where is the actual place I should alight while getting off from the bus. That girl guided me and said, "This way, this way." At there, I saw musicians standing on the street to perform for the first time. I listened to the voice and guitar live in an extremely close range, I was really moved.

YUI did two live performances with bianco nero on Bokura no Ongaku, covering Michelle Branch's Goodbye To You and Matsutoya Yumi's Yasashisa ni tsutsumareta nara. YUI once aired bianco nero's Shokichi, which is a song about their home town in YUI LOCKS and recommended their album in MTV M Size, if I'm not mistaken. Bianco nero mentioned YUI in their blog too, and someone retrieved a picture of super young YUI with fringe + her real name in old bianco nero website xD

If you really want to dig deep, there are a lot of places you can look into. Btw, the guy with spectacles left bianco nero, now bianco nero has 3 members.


YUI: I talked about this incident quite often, after the live finished, I approached bianco nero. Due to the fact that I was moved by their performance, of course, my curiosity, and thinking that "It's now or never!" Since I couldn't really see any other paths, I guess at that moment, I would like to ask about it as much as I could right on the spot. Hence, as usual, I started with "Konbanwa" and tried to talk to them, I can still remember that I asked them something like, "I really wanted to pursue music, what should I do?" Up to that time, I kinda knew that there are these vocational schools available, I thought I couldn't attend because I didn't really go to high school and all. Then, "It's not vocational school, there is a music cram school if that's what you meant," they told me. After that I had a little more extra time, but I also started to show up in bianco nero's lives, I got the chance to know people from music cram school. And then this person noticed me and said something like, "Well then, bring that girl here." That was the starting point.

That person is Nishio Yoshihiko, I believe. The founder of Voice music school. Ayaka is from that school too. Nishio san talked about how he met bianco nero, YUI and ayaka in this interesting article. I think he bought that Yamaha guitar on It's happy line CD cover for YUI. He only produced It's happy line and feel my soul.

YUI: Finally, I could see which direction I should be heading towards to, I was able to see what needs to be done. However, I never thought that I would receive this much help from them. That encounter was really important. I think that opened up the possibility for me to step into the music path, yea. Because of that, I started to attend that music school, and since I went to the city area, I changed my part time job too. If I recall correctly, at first I worked in a Japanese restaurant which serves lunch meals. I thought, if it's on lunch hours, time wise it shouldn't be a problem. By putting a microphone looking thing on my ear like this, there's this thing which will make 'beep' sound right? That was really amusing. If pressed excessively it will be-be-beep non stop *laughs* I began my music school life, while receiving transportation allowance from that restaurant.

# How often did you go each week?

YUI: It was like, I went there everyday after finished part time job. I didn't have my own guitar, so I borrowed my friend's guitar and played with it, things like that. From there I sort of trying to do different covers and so on. I got all excited by just strumming the open strings. "This is amazing! What a beautiful sound!" I can remember that I was really touched by it. And when I saw people around me seemed to enjoy their guitars, the sight of them playing guitar happily, it really got to me. Instead of teaching, telling someone that "I can finally play the F chord, how does it sound?" while strumming the chord, and getting replies such as "It's awful," we had more of these mindless chatters.

To be continued. Next, song writing and performances.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imagine that YUI started out with no guitar, even had to borrow from someone else. It is possible for everyone to get a Martin or Fender, someday. Yea, itsuka.

Thank you for reading. Hopefully I'll be motivated/ hard working enough to translate remaining 4 pages.

Next: ROCKIN' ON JAPAN Interview Part 8

blog comments powered by Disqus