Sunday, December 03, 2006

Japanese Language Proficiency Test

Album: YUI - from me to you

Today I went to UPM to have my JLPT test (Level 3). Wanted to write about this because before I took this test I did some research through net to gather more information regarding it. And I managed to find some interesting sites and experiences from different sources. The ones that really proved useful were not the tips actually (If you are not planning to study these tips also won't be THAT useful), rather than the experiences from people who took the test really matter the most. It's great to know that people around the world are taking the same test at the same day, especially it's something that you're interested in (well most of the time). And not some stupid university mandatory courses........

Before I start rambling, you may stop reading it if you are not planning to take this test. It'll bore the hell out of you. No scopes nor tips or whatever, that will be very technical-ish, not really the main purpose of me writing this, it might be slightly biased as well haha. I'm taking level 3 this year, and this was my first time taking JLPT. My test started at 8 am, I reached there (with the help of my dad) around 7.20 am. I slept at 3 am actually, doing last minute revison lol, but not very effective because I was busying indulging myself in wonderland (meeting YUI in person and got to talk to her xD ), and for THAT reason I picked up my guitar and start practicing Good-bye days in the middle of the night, in case I really met her someday ROFL.

Back to reality. When I was there I was surprised by the amount of people there. It's alot, some even came in buses. Then I met my seniors (I'm japanese major first year), since I'm such a 'shy' and 'low profile' person I just pretend that I didn't see them. I DID smiled to some of them who recognised me. Most of the examinees were chinese uni/ college students, just like me. There are some malays and indians as well, and people from 'older' generations. There's even people wearing formal clothes (hate to wear formal =x ). Went to look for my exam hall and my seat, it's A1 and located at the 2nd floor.

After 'watching/ analysing' people from a certain distance for quite some time (too lazy to study, it's interesting anyway), we were called to enter the exam halls. I shall fast forward all these (tired adi lol). The test have 3 parts, first is Kanji and Vocabulary, 35 mins. Before that the briefing guy gave a long ass speech regarding the test, you might as well try to find something to do at that time. Okla first timer must listen to it. Then I saw the whiteboard, it's written:

Reading Comprehension and Grammer
11.40-12.50pm

I was like, issit 'Grammar' or 'Grammer'???
(Anyway it's grammar).

Finally the test started (at last). If you can read chinese there's one part mostly you'll get zero mistakes, even if you don't know the kanji, you can just eliminate all those funny looking chinese characters and pick the correct ones. For this section, you just have to watch more jdrama, anime, read more japanese lyrics haha (I'm a bad student). Beware of the 'long sounds' though. I'm having hard time picking those with う and those without.

After the test we have half an hour break. Then came the listening part. Basically if you can watch japanese shows RAW then this will be your best shot to get high marks. It's tiring though, have to pay attention and jot down all the important parts because they will only play the CD once. Hopefully I can have better marks in this to compensate with the marks I lost in grammar section lol.

Then we'll have another break, should be 30 mins but time is running out that's why had to cut it short. Reading Comprehension and Grammar. The part I sucked the most (can be applied in english as well). First semester only covered until chapter 25 (minna no nihongo), some of the level 3's syllabus can up to chapter 50. Basically I was doing first person shooting, plain aim and shoot at whichever I think it's correct lol. Suddenly I miss my sensei =/ at that time I was really exhausted, having sudden flu (no tissues *dang*), half of the time I was sleeping actually, waiting for the test to end so that I can go back and sleep lol. This part have to pay alot of hardwork on it in order to score, no shortcut for this actually, must do alot of exercises (which I'm too lazy to do), get used to the different conjugations, particles bla bla.....

1300 hours, test ended (yay). Feeling sleepy now. Hopefully next year I don't have to retake it again haha.

Till then, au revior.

Rant: The guy kept on saying 'now we will correct the answer sheets' instead of collect, seriously I'll be glad to let you correct it so that I can pass this test =P

blog comments powered by Disqus