Saturday, June 07, 2008

half-banana Goes to Singapore - Day 2

Note: My memory is slowly fading away...due to procrastination.


I 'almost' rounded whole Singapore this time.

Morning my brother and I went to NUS. My high school mate Leng was our NUS guide, along with her 2 other crazy friends.


We were here in NUS. I can't remember what's the building behind us.

After visiting almost every corner of NUS (except Science Faculty), I like this place the most:


Library!!

I thought that my uni (UM)'s library is already good enough, I can never finish reading all the books there. But NUS's Central Library has larger, newer collection of books, including Japanese ones, opens 24 hours during exams, comfortable sofas and chairs...T.T

No wonder my school is not even in top 200 universities, besides some other reasons. Since I only pay like RM 900 per semester, whereas someone in NUS pays SGD 3000, I shouldn't be whining. I actually like my uni, especially our languages and linguistics faculty, our buildings may not have cool looking designs (it looks like some store room), but we have a bunch of nice lecturers/ senseis. If you can afford it, NUS is great with its conducive environment for students. I'm gonna miss their canteen and libraries.....


The sign says: Centre For English Language Communication

We had coffee + Kaya toast, Old Chang Kee, Yong Tau Fu in 2 different canteens, Little Prince, who finally dragged himself out from bed, joined us together for lunch. The food in NUS is cheap and has so many varieties!! McD, Burger King, Subway, hawker food, bar, etc...my school canteen? Sad. I rather bring my own food.


My friends stay in these fancy looking hostels. Apparently they have another high class hostels for super outstanding students.

After taking a peak at my friend's room, we left NUS, and headed to our next destination. We took bus 142 (I think), I ditched my brother and alighted at HarbourFront MRT where as my brother continued his journey to Orchard Road. We met a nice girl in the bus who taught us when to get off from bus. It was a double decker bus but we didn't go to the upper deck, just to be safe, because we had no idea when to signal the driver to stop.

BUT, someone brought me to take double decker bus afterwards so yay~ My first ever double decker bus ride.

That someone was dear Ah Mel aka uchihamel. Cute little girl. I went to her house and we watched Last Friends episode 8 together lol, then she guided me to the BBQ place, even brought me to eat Yakun and MOS Burger (suggested by ajiewien). We communicated in English and Chinese, because my brain couldn't function in English all the time. Didn't talk in Japanese though, it'll be weird. Maybe we should try that next time.

Ever since I've discovered dear YUI, I've tried out a lot of things I would have not imagined 2 years ago. I met internet friends offline from time to time (natsumi, she's the first 'internet friend' I met offline), joined outings, connecting with people all over the world.

After participating in a few outings, my experience is, for me the better way to get to know people more is through smaller (1-2) outings, because the other person can only talk to you LOL. I can ask more 'deep/weird' questions without worrying others will overhear. Introverts tend to be like that, privacy and all.

But that doesn't mean that I don't like large gatherings, thanks to this BBQ outing, I met all these wonderful SGYLs in real life. Pictures just don't do it justice. Must meet each other and "sense" their existence. When I first heard miss ajiewien speaking in super fine Chinese in our outing at Malacca, I was like, woah! 不愧是獨中生!!

Not to mention dear YUI also has great soothing voice xD


BBQ place. As we were walking from pit 15+, I was kinda mumbling that why is it so far, someone walked from 40 to pit C7.


Guitar session. I can't play most of the YUI songs coming out from that boom box.

As it's been a while since I last participate in a larger gathering, most of the time I just stuck with YLs that I've chatted with them before or forumers that I know. Human instinct, you know. Hence, I was hanging around the guitar session group most of the time. Checking out what songs they were jamming, and watching DJ and Lamevil attacking each other.

I've donated one copy of JamSpot magazines into the lucky draw, congrats to Helixius~


Entertaining myself. Pictures taken by dUStyEX99, more pictures here.

Things get all dramatic from here onwards, you may skip this.

After reading books such as How to Win Friends & Influence People, Never Eat Alone, my communication skills should have better right? Apparently not. We might have idolising the same person, but that doesn't mean we can talk about all the things under the sun. We might have been chat from morning till night through msn, that doesn't mean that our first meet up will be a smooth one. I might be a YUI encyclopaedia (sort of speak), that doesn't mean I can tell you every detail and perform YUI geek talk when we meet face to face.

Everyone was really nice though, since I was staying at my uncle's house, typically in Malaysia, 11 pm consider as quite late. That was why I left around 9 something, which appears weird by Singapore standard lol. Everyone was still enjoying the party. I kept on checking the time, and was wondering who could give me direction back because there isn't any MRT station nearby. I had no idea which bus to take, nor which bus stop I should go.

Then I saw Fanny and Danny leaving the BBQ place, after pondering a while, wondering whether I should leave or not, I made up my mind and ran 'slowly' towards them, without saying good bye to the rest. Then I heard someone shouted good bye or something. I was quite sure that it was Ah Mel, because...I went to her house??

I wanted to turn back but since it was quite embarrassing to do so, I left, feeling kinda disappointed.

Thank you to Fanny, Danny and gniawx again, for giving me directions back to my uncle's house. I think next time I should have no problem taking buses around Singapore.

On my way back, I finished Cal Newport's How to Win at College (Chinese translation). I kept on thinking of what I've done. Luckily, we still have another outing on the next day.

To be continued.

blog comments powered by Disqus