Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Sound of YUI Part 1

Album: John Mayer - Heavier Things

Onitsuka Chihiro is back~!! She is one of the few artist which I can pick any of her album, and listen to it from the beginning till the end. That kinda directly translate as = making the same stuff over and over again. But if you can produce something (same) constantly and people will not get bored of it even after a long time, that's something. I love to listen to her albums at night, before I sleep, they are way better than those sleeping pills.

New PV - everyhome

As usual, nothing fancy, same old 'dark' song accompanied by piano only. Even though I read a lot of 'bizzare' news about her, at least she's back now =D

If you look at the title of this entry (which sounds kinda awkward), Onitsuka has nothing to do with YUI lol. Just wanna 'squeeze' this news in before I start on YUI. Anyway, Onitsuka san write lyrics first then melody, whereas dear YUI writes melody first then lyrics =P

Back of YUI音 (YUI on). I started a thread about it back then in the forum but it kinda dies off T.T Recently I have the spare time to 'venture' in the world of music (yea I'm jobless now *sigh* ), when I'm sick of those crappy music (you know, sometimes you just wanna listen to whatever others listening, since everyone is listening to it), YUI always manage to surprise me with her wide range of music knowledge (yea I look for her recommendations, besides Amazon =P ).

There's a segment in YUI LOCKS! (radio program) called YUI on, YUI will introduce some of the songs she likes to the listeners. Sometimes she will recommend her favourite albums too in certain magazines. I will list down some of them from time to time, when I ran out of things to rant or something xD

You can refer to this site too, this Japanese fan also listed down some of the artists YUI mentioned in his blog. I got most of it from his blog too =D

Today I'll just write down those recent songs or albums, well I like most of the stuff she recommends actually (yes I'm biased). You be the judge.

Gemma Hayes - Hanging Around

YUI will listen to this song before live performances, make herself relaxed. I'm still 'searching' for her albums =( I can only 'satisfy' myself from YouTube and Amazon. Another female guitarist woot! Never heard of her before that. Wonder how YUI gather these 'sources' xD

In Nov 2006 COOL TRANS magazine, YUI recommended some albums to be listen during autumn (Malaysia only has summer, so it doesn't really matter).

Kasabian - Kasabian

I think most of you guys heard of this song:

Kasabian - Club Foot (live)

Ooosh~~~ XD !!! As I was wondering where is the bassist (I thought it was a Gibson firebird instead of thunderbird bass =.= that thing looks hot though), it's actually a bass solo!! Gosh, fkin awesome, great performance. Who said that bass is boring?? (I used to think so). That bass solo guy is actually a guitarist (he seems like playing guitar on a bass xD ), too bad he left the group. The later perfs of this song don't sound that great anymore (the new guitarist is playing the bass). I spent 2 hours figuring the bassist guitarist switching part lol, if you don't understand ignore this part. So far I'm loving this album =D It's the bass xD

YUI recommended Franz Ferdinand's 'Do You Want To' too for autumn listening. Seems that there's a uncensored version music video of this song lol. I like Take Me Out =P

In JILLE (Feb 2007) magazine, one of YUI's 3 favourite CDs is Jason Mraz's Waiting For My Rocket. You and I, The Remedy are the BOMBs!! Back then I thought this album was just meh, besides those 2 great singles, oh and Curbside Prophet (before I started guitar lol). I should re-listen it again. Since it's YUI's fave xD

Besides that, we all know that dear YUI inspired by Avril Lavigne (when she was 15, she was 'shocked' by Avril when she first hear her album in a CD shop), Michelle branch (famous Goodbye to You cover), Sheryl Crow, all these female guitarist back then (kinda glad that we were in the same generation LOL, can totally relate to it). Of course, not forget Alanis Morissette. In BENT magazine (Feb 2007), YUI said that 'You Learn' (in Jagged Little Pill) is one of the song she will listen in the beginning of a day, and it will lift up her spirit.

And in J-Wave (radio program) open recording at Ebisu's garden place, YUI sang Hands Clean during rehearsal. In YUI LOCKS (17/5/2007) she played the intro too (didn't sing along >.< ), it was one of YUI's favourite guitar phrase (she added extra notes in it, have to figure it out myself T.T ). She will play + sing it during sound checking, she likes the sound of the chords, feels great listening to it.

Again in YUI LOCKS (25/01/2007), YUI selected The Offspring's Special Delivery as one of the cheer up song, especially for those who taking exams, she thinks that after listening to this song (maybe twice a week cos everyday might be too much), the stress will gone and you'll have the urge to study again. She thinks the title sounds cool too lol. Extra: 2 years ago in Fukuoka, YUI heard this song when she entered a junk shop (selling old stuff) and felt adrenaline rush (lol I don't know how to describe it) after listening it. (I heard hookah hookah in the background LOL, I like the progression from the beginning)

Tired adi xD What about Japanese songs?? Next time. Along with oldies and weird ones. Depends on the reaction I get. Well I myself enjoyed YouTube-ing though =P Feel free to take a look at these songs =) If you are unemployed just like me. I think i ranted too much xD

Which btw YUI said that she will look at translations to understand the songs more.

Till then, adieu.

blog comments powered by Disqus