Thursday, October 25, 2007

How I met YUI

As title stated,



Sorry I have a thing with long coat, just have to put a picture of dear YUI with it.

Before that, who is this YUI (in capital letters) girl anyway? She is a Japanese singer songwriter + guitarist. Supposed to be more acoustic based. Blue cat has written a nice introduction of her in JpopMusic Forums, famous YUI Fanblog Blue Wind has one too, even YUI herself wrote 6 chapters of self introduction around the debut time. You can read the translations by Ky Khor at YUI Lover Forum.

Or Google, YouTube, Wikipedia...If you think certain information sounds fishy, then double confirm from me, the YUI encyclopedia *coughs* Maybe I'm not as crazy as some Japanese fans, but when you're in this YUI stalking industry for quite some time, you will know where is the best place to get all the information, and who to believe (if you care haha). I can help you to gather relevant information or ask the correct person. I'm not 'free' all the time though. Best way is to ask in a big place with lots of people.

I have been a YUI fan since end of the year 2005 (trying to sound old). I first 'discovered' YUI on a Japanese music program called CDTV, when she entered single chart with her debut single, feel my soul (around March 2005, I think).


(not this episode of CDTV, example only)

First impression: Cool, another guitar playing girl. But why I feel my soul, take me away?? Ish, Engrish. These Japanese...lame.

That time I couldn't even differentiate between classical and acoustic guitar, but I always wanted to learn it. That was my first impression on dear YUI. Cool, at the same time, typical Japanese English.

Then time passed by, one day, as usual I was skimming through my weekly doses of PopJam, another Japanese music program (around June 2005).

It just happened that I stopped at the chorus part of Tomorrow's way.



Teo: Omg that high pitch sounds annoying. Who is that?? *skips the whole performance*

Time flies and I have no idea what was I doing around that period, STPM perhaps??

On one fine day, as I was watching Bleach the ending caught my attention. It was love at first listen.

I checked at the ending credits,



YUI?? Sounds familiar.

Then it struck me. Aah, that I feel my soul, take me away woman. Curiosity led me *ahem* all her discography at Jpopsuki, and after skimming through her songs, I ended up deleting everything. Apparently I thought her songs were too simple for my taste, or boring. Except LIFE, and a few others. The promotional video was one of my favourite Japanese music video though.



You rarely see such young, simple looking, with nice teeth, guitar playing Japanese girl who can pronounce 'I can change my life' pretty good. Something refreshing in Japanese music industry, I thought. I might not like all her songs, but her I like her image, portrayed in this PV. Of course that time my Japanese was still in kindergarten stage, and I had zero guitar knowledge, I could only judge things on the surface.

Omg I think I just fell in love again typing all these and re-watching LIFE PV for the second time...I shall move forward.

Then TOKYO PV impressed me to the max. YUI isn't just some come and go artist, she proved that she is capable of making it big. That song completely overruled the theory that I prefer 'complex' arrangements (December 2005), which Japanese music is capable of. The sales for this single are disappointing though.



And I begun to wonder how her first album will be, with such beautiful songs, mostly written by her!! Around that time there was this artist thread of YUI in JPM, some members formed YUI Lover forum and promoting the forum at the same time.

I never joined any forum with members less than 1000, let alone 14 members. I kinda pondered about it. So I lurked around and joined after a week, hence member number 54. Through YL, I learned more about YUI and tried to contribute by spamming and lurking around 24/7. At the same time I started guitar lessons and I asked my teacher to tab out TOKYO, since it seems easy. It took me one year to play this song 95% exactly how YUI plays. You show me a cover of TOKYO and I'll know whether this person is a YUI-wannabe or not haha.

I bought my first ever Japanese Edition CD (first online purchase too) around February 2006, it was YUI's debut album FROM ME TO YOU. This was another first few moves of mine towards this YUI fandom. This album is the most played CD in my car, however nowadays, CBML and RADWIMPS 4 are catching up fast though.



How I turned into this YUI-stalker, that was after I joined National Service, and entered University. I can't remember how but Taiyou no Uta definitely played a vital role. Plus knowing that slowly I'm able to handle translating all these YUI related stuff 'forced' me to know more about YUI, and ended up respecting her even more. The way she treats people, things, her passion towards music, her words, actions, inspire and motivate me to be a better person. She's my mentor, my role model, till now.

For example, today I am inspired by YUI again, after reading this interview in SEVENTEEN magazine Oct 1, 2007 issue.


(Thanks to Reset)

YUI said that the reason she kept writing diary almost everyday since 16 is because that she decided to do so. Even though she's not used to such writing stuff in the diary way. Once she decided to do something, she will go for it no matter what. That fits her latest motto, be as good as one's word.

Wish that someday I can clear all my tasks in my every day to-do-list T.T

On the other hand, it can backfire too. In that interview, YUI explained that she's been keeping on her diet regime as well (she always talks about getting slim). So she tried this tofu only diet, in the end she ate more after she got used to the bitterness of tofu. LOL. It can be a bad thing if we stick on one particular thing, she thought so too.

That was it, my encounter with YUI. Moral of the story is, people always different from how they seem. Try not to be too judgemental. I'm a very good example, and still guilty up till today. I think now I have read too much good about her and caused me to be neutral towards most of the YUI related stuff. Spiritually fulfilling though, with all the 'words of wisdoms'. Hopefully I can be a hard working + dutiful messenger.

Of course sometimes I will join the bandwagon and say something like omg that constipated face!! What Engrish is that?! Another single???? So thick the make up!! (sometimes it's REALLY thick haha).

I shall end this with the recent so-called rocker + mature + high class packaged YUI.


(Scanned by gotchi)

Stop talking as if you know me - How crazy


PS: How did you guys discover YUI??

blog comments powered by Disqus