Saturday, November 24, 2007

ROCKIN' ON JAPAN Interview Part 6 (page 049)

This translation needs to be digested slowly. It is freaking long.



Chinese translations can be found at triper san's blog, he had translated the whole thing.

Part 6 & 7

Disclaimer: My JLPT level is only 3, my MUET (some stupid Malaysian English test) is band 5, just giving you guys a guideline on my language ability (I don't really know how to measure these things anyway, what do mean by 'fluent'?). Sorry if I made any stupid grammatical errors and tell me if I made any factual errors. Don't believe in everything I wrote. If you wanna copy anything from here, please ask your future readers to stop by my blog, to increase my blog traffic LOL.

Previous translations: Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3 - Part 4 - Part 5

Teo: Italics

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quitting School

YUI: Of course there were times that I spilled tea on customers too. Then a lady whom I respected that time came and said:" Go ahead and do something else instead ya." while lowering down teapot, apologised to the customer for me. I always think that they are wonderful grown ups, when seeing such figure from behind. I was motivated by such consideration, kindness, too. I thought of wanting to improve myself even more, hence I tried my best in just about everything, with utmost effort as much as possible. To me, that time turned out to be quite a beneficial period.

I can sense redundancy...screw it lol.

# But- having only ~2 hours of sleep, means almost no free time, right?

YUI: That's true, yea.

# The time during classes or recess will be...

YUI: I ended up sleeping most of the time.......Instead of communicating, I felt asleep. It was such a waste right? Too many things just need to be done. And...because of not having much time, I even stopped singing songs as well. Besides, I realised it by chance. "Ah, I don't even sing these days..." I started to have such thoughts. I'm sure from there, "Ah, I really wanna sing." Such simple emotion was born, and gradually these feelings were accumulated to a certain extent. Passing through paddy road, on my way home by bicycle after finished part time, I would lean on the telegraph pole, taking off one side of earphone, listened to the music, and sang along. After doing so every time, it relaxes my mind. While thinking along that I really like music after all. Yea things like that somehow calms me down. Because of that, when I happened to think of my future, things like perhaps there isn't any music path came to my mind. When I thought of that, somehow I would feel as if a gaped hole opening in my heart.

# Continue living that way might be the reason you decided to quit high school. But how was it like the whole process?

YUI: Well, something like that, because of living in that way laid quite a burden physically, or around end of high school first year, one day my cold went bad and admitted to hospital. It was pneumonia by the way. All of a sudden my time was less occupied after entering hospital, because of that I had more time to think. It was about two months. On that time, the feeling of "ah, I want to do music after all" grew even bigger.

Besides thinking, dear YUI finished whole series of Harry Potter available that time too lol.

YUI: On the way back from high school, every day as usual I would stop by musical instrument store, looking at some band recruiting members poster thing, always thinking of joining. I like to look at guitars too. I have contacted those who recruiting members before as well. Actual meeting with them and asking them about it was around twice. However, maybe I was too young in terms of age, plus I thought that it would be difficult for me, I never received any follow up.


Picture credits to Reset.

YUI: That feeling of wanting to make music raised when I was in the hospital, was accumulated as well, and in some way it became stronger. Hence, I was thinking of maybe I should quit school or something. Plus, I was having problem, financially. No matter how hard I tried to pay the school fees, it was still not enough, and kept pilling up more and more. That worried me too. If I were to put my utmost effort into something at any rate, only the feeling of wanting to make music can make me stronger. If that is the case, since it is impossible for me to swing both sides for sure, thus when it comes to the time when I have to decide which one I really wanted to do the most, of course I felt more towards the feeling of wanting to pursue music.

Even more redundancy lol.

YUI: This is gonna be the first time I talk about...I once participated in one, small audition thing. I think I saw it in commercials or something and I had no idea how big the scale was. That thing was small, and I happened to come across it. I joined it before I was admitted to hospital. I was informed that I entered final stage when I was still in the hospital. Since I was already getting better, I requested for permission to go out, and went to that final audition. I really thought a lot about whether I should pursue music or not around that time, hence if I failed that audition, I will give up once and for all. It wasn't because that without the talent, no matter how you tried it will still remain meaningless, since this is a serious matter...that was how I thought. Even though I was still recovering, I sang in the audition and guess what, I won the competition. Because of that, I had this proof to persuade my parents, maybe I should try to work on this, such feeling came to me as well. And that started to motivate me. If it wasn't for that audition, maybe I would just quit from there. After discharged from hospital, I thought of trying my best in the path towards music. Definitely it wasn't because that I was told that I have the talent but, they could sense that I had this strong urge to pursue music, hence it turned out that I wanted to pursue the music path after all.

# Around that time you still haven't start writing original songs, right?

YUI: Yea I didn't write any original songs. I didn't even have a guitar. That time I sang Japanese songs.

# And that boosted your confidence, don't you think? Something like there's no such thing as zero possibility after all.

YUI: That's true.

To be continued.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm I actually translated the whole thing...almost word by word, so that you guys can interpret it in anyway you want. Hopefully after reading this, you will get to know more of this girl called YUI.

5 more pages to go.

Till then.

Next: ROCKIN' ON JAPAN Interview Part 7

blog comments powered by Disqus