Sunday, October 26, 2008

Classes I Took This Semester

Note: No YUI in this post.


This is not Waseda University.

In case anyone is interested.

Core course:
Intensive Japanese Standard 6

Skill Subjects:
Japanese Pronunciation 6
Japanese Listening Comprehension 7
Japanese Reading Comprehension 6
Japanese Kanji 7
Japanese Oral Expression 6 - Cleared the presentation yesssss. Even though my presentation sucked.
Japanese Written Expression 6
Japanese Functional Sentence Pattern 7 (aka Grammar) - I took two classes, because I'm sick of reading Japanese novels in a super slow speed and only understand half of it.

Japanese Theme Subjects:
Problems in Translation 5-6 (Japanese <-> English)
Reading Japanese Contemporary Literature 6-8 (Haruki Murakami!!)

The numbers indicated are the levels I am taking. I am in level 6, highest is 8 (I'm sure you guys know who is in level 8). I am taking Intensive Japanese Language Program in Waseda University, yeah Monday to Friday, all Japanese.

The downside is I don't have any Japanese classmates =.= I need to look for them in some other places.


I LOVE this library. They have RED carpets inside. And the interior inside make you feel as if you are doing homework/sleeping in some European country.

Basically it is very flexible, you get to choose which skill subjects/theme subjects you like, and if you want to go up/down one level, you can do so as long as you get permission from the lecturer in charge. Besides exchange students (like me), there are independent students who came here to improve their Japanese for various reasons. The difference are:

1. They already graduated from various majors.
2. They might be wiser, more experienced.
3. They need to pay Waseda school fees.


This is THE place to check exam results. They will put up boards on THAT day. Reminds me of Dragon Zakura.

So far the classes are okay, nothing much to be complain/brag about, just that some what we (Bekka students) are having completely different university life than normal Japanese students.

Rumour 1:
Japanese students sleep in the class openly.
I was looking forward to do that but, I can't T.T

Rumour 2:
It is normal to be late for classes.
Some teachers come to classes earlier than students. Haih. Luckily I stay 10 minutes away from school.


Students get to practise in real dojo looking building OMG. Left: Archery, Right: Kendo.

Maybe Bekka is different. Being a loyal reader of All Japanese All The Time and The Linguist, I believe that what we did after class is equally important to increase proficiency (such as YUI-ing, watch jdramas). Since I'm a lazy person, I have to rely on classes, especially grammar. But most of the time, I think that I learn faster, and learn more outside classes. Well, like blogging in Japanese, writing mails in Japanese, listening to a bunch of stuff, watch dramas and shows etc.

Have to show some LOVE to that language. Why can't I do that to Korean language >.<

No matter how good you are, they are always people a lot better than us. Let it be Japanese, guitar, whatever. I used to admire people who can understand Japanese/plays guitar, now that I have reached a certain level, I still think that I suck. Really.

Before entering Waseda University, I always thought that it is so far away. Before knowing anyone from Tokyo University, Cambridge, or maybe Stanford, they seemed to be so high above, but now I get to talk with them, in person. Actually we are all the same (I still think that they are some what different though, because I have never met such 'elite' people ma).

In the end, we just have to find a balance, be humble, but not too humble, if not people will not know the other side of you.


I wonder if sometimes I think too much or being too weird =x

That is the Red Gate (Akamon) of Tokyo University. Imagine passing through this gate everyday. But to Toudai students, it might be just another gate.

Sometimes things look precious when we don't have it, and we tend not to appreciate what we already have.

Now I feel like studying in Toudai instead XD

Which university tour next??

Special thanks to a fellow Malaysian who is studying in Tokyo University for showing me around.

PS: I will reply emails. I will.

There seem to be two free concert on next week =D

blog comments powered by Disqus