Thursday, October 02, 2008

My First Ever J-Pop Concert

Brings back all the memories.



I went to Harajuku for the first time to catch Do As Infinity FREE LIVE -FREE SOUL! FREE SPIRITS! at Yoyogi Park Open-Air Stage. Apparently we can see weird looking people in Harajuku every Sunday. Must go see see someday.

I went there all alone after class, and missed first couple of songs because I couldn't find the open stage.

But it ended up with a little bit of twist.

Sometimes, good stuff always come when you are least expected.

Morning 6.30 am, I woke up and made my breakfast and lunch for the very first time (not so tasty spaghetti). Then I walked to school, alone. This week is orientation week, so I try to attend as many classes as possible, to check out the lecturers and stuff. My classes are gonna be all Japanese language related.

Around noon I had lunch with this girl from Czech Republic, together with a German girl, and two Taiwanese. I was getting worried that I'm gonna eat alone, usually I'm fine with it but something happened this few days and I'm started to get all depressed whenever I'm all by myself. I wanted to invite this Korean guy in my class for lunch, but you know, I shy. Then I saw the Czech Republic girl *relieved*

I stopped checking out classes around 3.30 pm, tired. Since I'm a cheap person, I decided to walk all the way to Shinjuku, instead of paying 130 yen. On my way, I bumped into another German girl and this couple looking Thais. The girl is actually half Thai half Japanese or something, both of them are in level 7 class if I'm not mistaken, super geng (pro).

I like nice people.

So I walked to Shinjuku, and went to see electronic dictionary (aka Nintendo DS). The journey was around 40 minutes, I was listening to DAI's albums all the way.

In the end I didn't buy Nintendo DS.

Then I took Yamanote Line from Shinjuku to Harajuku.



I was pretty tired when I reached there (around 5 pm, already dark), I thought of finding some nice coffee shop and have a light dinner while do some review for tomorrow's kanji test. But I wanted to know where the exact place first, hence I went to Yoyogi Park.

As I had no idea where the outdoor stage is, I just followed those people who seemed to be going to a concert instead of dating in the park or jogging. There were no banners, maps or whatsoever indicating the exact place of the stage.

So I made another mistake. When I realised it, I was in front of the entrance of Yoyogi Park, for the second time, feeling hungry and exhausted. Another 40 minutes walk. There was a Japanese guy who tried to ask me whether I am going to DAI's live, where is the outdoor stage. I just told him that I followed the crowd, and left that Japanese guy. Too tulan to talk adi (no mood to chit chat).

That's the problem if you are alone.

I'm not so nice after all.

Since I was outside the entrance again, I might as well go find something to eat. I returned back to Harajuku Station, passing Meiji Shrine's entrance, and walked towards Omotesandou.

I always have problem deciding what to eat, especially when I'm alone in some foreign country. As I get further and further away from Yoyogi Park, trying to find a familiar looking restaurant which is cheap and no meat, on a chilly evening (15 degrees), time was running out. After making a big round back to Harajuku Station (and drank my first ever hot can coffee from vending machine), I saw some happening street, and I could see yellow M sign clearly, among the crowd.

In the end I ate crepe though. Because McD's 100 yen (RM 3.28) Filet-O-Fish campaign already ended, because I heard that crepes in Japan are nice.


I chose Angels Heart crepe instead of Marion because there was a bench for me to sit (finally!!) outside the store.

I spent quite some time figuring out which crepe to buy. In the end I bought chocolate ice cream with syrup, minus whipped cream. I forget to include banana when I was ordering my crepe. These crepes have long names =.=

On my way back to Yoyogi Park (again), I bought one Tuna mayo onigiri at Family Mart. It was around 6.35 pm. The show supposed to start around 6.30, with opening act by some band.

BUT, on my way to Yoyogi Park, I could hear Hi no ataru sakamichi from far away. OMG. 6.30 pm starts means that DAI will start singing at 6.30 pm?! I increased my walking pace, and rushed towards the sound source, as I still had no idea where the stage was.

Then I saw two high school looking girls walking frantically beside me. I asked them where is the actual place and they didn't know either. So three of us, ran towards the lights. We heard Fukai mori. One of the girl got all panic and wondered if the show will end once we reached there.

It was really crowded. We couldn't even see the stage (10,000 people turned up, and I'm short), but I could hear Tomiko Van's beautiful voice clearly from far away. Then they played Yesterday & Today.

O.M.G

Classic.

We walked around to look for a better spot, in the end I settled myself behind the VIP area, with a park bench behind me so that I could lean on it.


Taken using my hand phone.

I could see Ban-chan was in long hair, Ryo was using black Les Paul and another guitarist, that was all. It was drizzling through out their performance, Ban-chan 'complained' about the rain during MC:

何だよ、この雨。
何だよ。
What the heck is wrong with the rain.
Wth.

Unlike the badminton tournament I watched the other day, the audience were very enthusiastic, but since I was behind the VIP area, at the corner, I could only cheer and clap along with few people around. The guy beside me remained silent whole time.

I enjoyed week!! the most. No wonder YUI wrote certain songs for live performances, certain songs do sound different between live and listening from CD. If I camped at Yoyogi Park for one night, I might be able to see Ban-chan clearly and which chord Ryo was holding =/

Set List

1. new world
2. Tooku made
MC
3. Hi no ataru sakamichi
4. Fukai mori
5. Yesterday & Today
MC
6. Honjitsu wa seiten nari
7. Boukenshatachi
8. SUMMER DAYS
-EN-
MC
9. week!!
MC
10. Ai no uta

That was the first time I heard Ai no uta =x

So called a Do as infinity fan.

When the live came to an end, the staff gave away free paper bag with the calligraphy 'Do As 復活' on it. I couldn't get one because they didn't expect so many people turned up. Seeing all the people around holding that white bag made me kinda jealous. Even though it is just a stupid white paper bag. Gahhhh.



As I was trying desperately to get the bag, I searched around the park, hoping that the staff would bring out more boxes. People were taking pictures of the stage. Japanese are really law abiding citizens. Even though the concert was held in a huge open space. No one really took pictures or flashed here and there. I only took one picture with no flash, and managed to record a few seconds of Yesterday & Today.

Me 'tries' to obey law too. I don't want to be DEPORTED from Japan.



Then I bumped into one of the high school looking girl again. Talk about coincidence. She couldn't get the bag either.

Fate.

We exchanged emails and apparently they are the same age as YUI! (and me)

Both of them are from Shiga prefecture, somewhere beside Kyoto. Yuka is currently studying hair make in Osaka, went for one year exchange in Canada before, and Hitomi is a NEET lol.

That was the first time I met a NEET too, and got to know more about Shiga prefecture.


Yuka, Hitomi, Teo. It was still raining.

Guess that it wasn't so bad going to a concert, alone. I might bump into random people.

I wonder what will happen in monobright concert.

blog comments powered by Disqus